Moderators: 3893, team-ng-command

GuardianIdol
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen
antispamfield: No

Advice on neckline (generic jedi)

Post by GuardianIdol » 20 Dec 2018, 03:10

Hello,
I am a new member of the forum, nice to meet you.
I am preparing a generic jedi costume and I have a question about the neckline of the inner tunic. I prepared an inner tunic with a turtleneck as suggested in this link: http://www.rebelshaven.com/jediundertunic.html
It was on the main website of the Rebel Legion, so I thought it was "official reference".
However, they told me that this type of neckline is not acceptable. Is it true? Or can I keep it?
I also put a selfie to let you see the neckline. Thank you in advance for all the advice!

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Re: Advice on neckline (generic jedi)

Post by 13103 » 20 Dec 2018, 09:24

Hello and welcome!

When looking at the CRL for generic Jedi, it says this about inner tunics:

1. Inner Tunic (IT): May be a full tunic or a false tunic (meaning a collar, neck portion and sleeves may be added to a shirt or t-shirt). Dickies or tunics/shirts with a Mandarin collar are allowed.
a. If the OT is sleeveless, then an IT must be worn and must have long sleeves.
b. Blouses and standard store bought turtlenecks may be used, but will not be considered ITs for the purposes of costume requirements.

Exactly who says your neckline isn’t permitted?

Link to CRL (your guide!) http://newsite.rebellegion.com/jedi-cos ... s-generic/

Troops: 58

GuardianIdol
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by GuardianIdol » 20 Dec 2018, 22:59

13103 wrote:
20 Dec 2018, 09:24
Hello and welcome!

When looking at the CRL for generic Jedi, it says this about inner tunics:

1. Inner Tunic (IT): May be a full tunic or a false tunic (meaning a collar, neck portion and sleeves may be added to a shirt or t-shirt). Dickies or tunics/shirts with a Mandarin collar are allowed.
a. If the OT is sleeveless, then an IT must be worn and must have long sleeves.
b. Blouses and standard store bought turtlenecks may be used, but will not be considered ITs for the purposes of costume requirements.

Exactly who says your neckline isn’t permitted?

Link to CRL (your guide!) http://newsite.rebellegion.com/jedi-cos ... s-generic/
thank you for your answer! :)
I sent an email to the Legion council and a councilmember said that it was probably not acceptable, but to be sure I should have asked to one of the forums.
Indeed, I read the rules before preparing the costume. This is why I was "confused" about that answer. Maybe there were some not written guidelines, I do not know :P

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 2011 » 21 Dec 2018, 00:48

This hobby is like a church. It's all about the person with power to approve interpretations of the guidelines, CRL and current mood... :)
I got my Jedi approved by one person and 3 minutes later I got a mail from another person who disapproved it. I ignored the last one :p

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 13103 » 21 Dec 2018, 06:32

Since one person can’t be an expert on every possible subject it’s possible the council member who answered you doesn’t really know.
I can’t promise you your collar will be approved but I would keep the collar and send it in for approval. You can write in your description that your collar is based by the Eeth Koth costume.
If the judges doesn’t find it approvable, they’ll provide feedback. After all, they want to approve if possible :)

Stardust
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Stardust » 21 Dec 2018, 06:36

Yes, the Standards are tricky. My Lyra is not following the Standards, but is what I consider screen accurate. I asked the person who wrote the standard about the strange description of her boots, ’Rey on Jakku like’, since I saw them to be more like boots with sport-like plimsoles. She said the Standard was correct. Made my boots according to what I saw on screen & got the costume approved straight away..... So yes- depending on who’s opinion you ask unfortunately.
”I find your use of the force vague and unconvincing”

Two generations of Ersos & someone in disguise
(jyn-erso) Jyn (lyra-erso) Lyra & (boushh)

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 13103 » 21 Dec 2018, 06:42

Generic Jedi is the most common rebel costume so I think the judges have seen just about everything :)

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 2011 » 21 Dec 2018, 11:41

Stardust wrote:
21 Dec 2018, 06:36
Yes, the Standards are tricky. My Lyra is not following the Standards, but is what I consider screen accurate. I asked the person who wrote the standard about the strange description of her boots, ’Rey on Jakku like’, since I saw them to be more like boots with sport-like plimsoles. She said the Standard was correct. Made my boots according to what I saw on screen & got the costume approved straight away..... So yes- depending on who’s opinion you ask unfortunately.
About 5 years ago I made my black Imperial ANH Officer screen accurate, with the collar buttons on the right side of the left. I made a huge research on the costume. This was not approved even though I sent screen grabs of the collar, because it was not in the CRL because there the collar buttons are in the front as on the other officer uniforms. So I had to throw the whole costume in the trash! 4000 SEK in the bin.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 13103 » 21 Dec 2018, 14:27

Yes, that is unfortunate Jonas.

Anyhow, good luck with your costume Guardian! When in doubt, there is always the possibility to check in on the Rebel legion main forum. The costume judges hang out there quite a bit! There is loads of info. If you haven’t checked it out already: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/ ... 7db09cca4d

GuardianIdol
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by GuardianIdol » 22 Dec 2018, 00:46

Thank you everyone for sharing your experience!!! Anyway, it is good to know that someone find acceptable my neckline, maybe I am in a border situation. Fortunately, if I have to change it, I wouldn't have waisted 4000 sek like Jonas... :D

I have to fix some other details on my belt and tabard, then I will try the application. In the meantime I will check the main forum and find some information (I registered here because I am from Sweden).