Event rules.

Moderator: team-ng-command

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper
antispamfield: No

Event rules.

Post by 30502 »

Just wondering about the whole part, when it comes to taking donations. How do i know that the donations comes to the right hand. Because i know you can collect donations as a private person, or a person takes the donations for there own benefit. How is it handled in the Nordic Garrison.

I thinking about going all the way with costume and so on, i need to know that my time is not wasted. Because there are persons out there that is not always is trustworthy.
Troops: 92

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: Event rules.

Post by 5573 »

There are several ways to find out where the money goes.

Firstly, you can start by trusting us. We do this for our love of Star Wars and a desire to help people. Not to make money. If we wanted to make money then we wouldn't spend upwards of 15000SEK on a plastic costume.

Secondly, you can check our charity donations page which you find here. It's not 100% up to date because I have been very busy recently. The actual donations are all made, just not listed here. I'll try to get it back up to date asap.

Thirdly, you can ask the Swedish tax authorities who can, at any moment, audit us to make sure everything is legit.

Fourth, you can become a full NG member and then you gain access to our monthly accounting report which shows exactly what money comes in and what goes out again.

Finally, ask one of us. I've got the best overview since I'm the garrison accountant but all the members of NG will tell you how much of our own money we spend on this hobby and how little we get back (apart from the love and admiration of the people who see us). We NEVER get cash. If we are lucky then an event organiser may give us a small reward as thanks for a job well done but it's usually something like if we do a Star Wars game release event then we all get a copy of the game.

And if you want to know exactly how our donations work then let me explain. We do an event, let's say SSGFC Stockholm. While there we take photographs with the public who then pay to have them printed out. We print 500 pics and charge 50:- each. That makes a total of 25000:- collected. From that we deduct the price of the ink, paper, tape etc that we use over the weekend. Let's say that costs 5000:- leaving us with 20000:-. From that 20K NG take 10% which we use to buy new photobackdrops, build new stand parts, maintain our photography equipment etc. It is NOT given to the members at all. So, 10% of 20000:- is 2000:- leaving 18000:-. That 18000:- is sent to the selected charity for the event.
"Shut him up or shut him down!"

Troop count: One, two, three, many, lots!

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 54321 »

The material and maintenance expenses are very quickly rendered efficient as they enable the next event to generate even more donations. Then we also have emergency charity work where we, as individuals and members, undergo economic loss to help humanitarian causes of extreme circumstances.

Then we select the charity funds thoroughly, by supporting non-profit, non-political, non-sectarian organizations with high fundraising efficiency.

You can trust that we are citizens, and just like you, we have laws upon us that we must follow. Without which we wouldn't be around very long, as Andrew said regarding audits. There are different laws depending on the country too, for example in Finland we cannot collect money ourselves so the charity organization collects it directly from our event sponsors. So we don't collect money there but donations are made anyway in the context of our events.

Trust is important as we are required to trust our members too, supporters and recruits as well. We are careful with who joins and how they behave and represent the Nordic Garrison. We are Nordic people too, so we like due process. We reckon that as soon as you are a member you think more as a collective entity, personal interests do not thrive in our guidelines, and using an NG-approved costume, with or without the mention of "NG", for personal gain is neither well perceived by the membership or accepted as a part of the Nordic Garrison.

There are costume clubs and individuals who wear Star Wars costumes for personal gain but they are recognizable as they actively distinguish themselves from the 501st Legion and Nordic Garrison, and they do not have the costume and membership requirements that we have.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 30502 »

Thanks a lot for taking your time to explain that, that i am grateful for. I i am very interested in how this organization works before i join in. Im have got a request to be a supporter this weekend, and want to check it out.

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by 5573 »

Where do you live? If you want to see us in action then I highly recommend dropping by SSGFC Stockholm.
"Shut him up or shut him down!"

Troop count: One, two, three, many, lots!

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 30502 »

i live in norway/oslo. Have seen you guys trooping and i am very impressed of the work. I did also attend the game-expo in lilestrom/Oslo and spoke a lot with one of the supporters there. He inspired me a lot. The event request i got is in Oslo/outland and collecting donations for the Philippines.
Is every event authorised of the 501st/NG before it happends?

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 54321 »

What do you mean?

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 30502 »

Who organizes an single event and has it to be approved some how. How does an event get organized/started?

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 54321 »

Through an agreement between Event Coordinator (NG side) and an Event Organizer/sponsor (venue side), the EC is the liaison between the NG membership and the EO contact. EC is responsible for a few things, to make sure the charter is followed, to report and log the important event details for NG staff and members.

So it's along guidelines.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 8746 »

and usuallu we get invited to events (such as conventions/birthday parties/openings/etc) then it goes through the CR (country representative) that does the intial back and forth talk before handing it over to the appointed local EC.
So yes. Rules. And stuff.