Thoughts and experience

Moderators: 3893, team-ng-command

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper
antispamfield: No

Thoughts and experience

Post by 66669 » 10 Oct 2015, 15:26

Hi!

My name is Richard and I live in northern Sweden. After being a 501st member for about a year now, I've finally volunteered to join an Nordic Garrison event. So I thought I would post my thoughts and experiences here for you to read.

Some Star Wars history
I got introduced to Star Wars when I was about 10-11 years old, this was in the beginning of the 80s. My family and I had just moved from Stockholm to a small town called Ljusdal and there I became very good friends with one of the many neighbors. This friend had Star Wars all over his room and I got extremely interested.

If it wan't for him I would never have the interest in Star Wars as I now do (you know who you are (stormie) ).

After moving around I met a girl who studied at Umeå university, I followed her up here and when she decided to move to Stockholm to work I decided to stay. I now live here with my wife and sons.

The decision to apply for the 501st has always been a little of a dream, but just that. It was not until another event happened that made me follow my dream and join the Legion.
When our third son was born (2006) he had a serious heart condition (eng: Aortic Stenosis, swe: Aortastenos) and he had several heart operations before he even turned 1 year old. It took more operations and hospital visits before we could be a family again.

This event and the fact of seeing the good, the bad were doing I decided to start building my first costume. I joined this Forum in 2011 and looked around for information about a good first costume. What's the best costume to start with... well, lets just say I followed my heart and not the advice given... the Sovereign Protectors (guard) :) .

In november 2014 I got approved, the best day of my Star Wars life! And now I'm about to finish my second costume, a Shadow Stormtrooper... and after finally getting my wife to realize that I am a Star Wars nerd, I got a resounding "Yes!" when I asked about this event that I would like to join.

I do feel a little nervous and happy at the same time. After not being able to join in any events because of my sick son and the state of the family I am really pleased to have the opportunity of doing good to others.

More of my thoughts to come...

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Re: Thoughts and experience

Post by 24208 » 11 Oct 2015, 10:39

Lovely story, hope your son is better now!

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 66669 » 12 Oct 2015, 09:07

Thanks and yes my son is much better now.
He had a aortic valve surgery (ROSS Procedure) done this summer and is now back to his old self (he actually cartwheeled three days after the surgery).

Plan on buying the shoes for my Shadow Stormtrooper today. Worked on the costume this weekend and had my first fitting, still need some trimming done. Going from the Royal Guard costume to the Shadow Stormtrooper needs some time to adjust as well, not use to all that armor.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 66669 » 13 Oct 2015, 10:46

Sent the pictures for approval yesterday... just sit down and wait now.

Still excited about the coming event and is waiting for more information regarding it.
I've also initiated a collaboration with the municipality were I live, hopefully it will lead to something.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 66669 » 19 Oct 2015, 21:12

Jumping right into it

So the collaboration with the library has paid off since we, NG, will attend the Star Wars day the 7th of November in Umeå City Library. I took upon myself to be the Event Coordinator (EC) with the aid of another trooper. Exciting... just need some more troopers.

My TX (Shadow Stormtrooper) needs some minor adjustments but I'm sure to have it approved for the event here in Umeå. And I will most probably have my TX on the other event I mentioned earlier as well... things are looking good right now... I also starting to plan for my next project, TK or TB (ssssh, don't tell my wife)

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 66669 » 23 Oct 2015, 12:55

Sent the pictures with the adjustments... just waiting now.

I've also booked my tickets for the other event, feel excited and a bit nervous.
The planning of the event here in Umeå is going really well, next step on that event planning is to set up groups so we can march in a rather regular manner and getting people to our table.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 66669 » 03 Nov 2015, 09:59

Got my approval (actually a few days ago)! (viewtopic.php?f=196&t=5532&start=630#p153128)

Also doing some final preparations for the troop in Umeå. Everything looks great and they expect a lot of people, feels awesome. Hope this will sparkle the interest for both Nordic Garrison and Nordic Base (heard some of the staff at the library actually starting to get really into Star Wars, soon we will have more applicants ;) ).

The other troop has now become two troops, feels great when timing fits like a glove... one minor troop followed by a major one, what a weekend :D

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 66669 » 08 Nov 2015, 12:10

The troop here in Umeå was a huge success!
So many people, so much fun. I would think we have made our mark in Norrland and hoping for more people to join our ranks.
As the organizer said: "We have never had this amount of visitors before". The event had some really good local media coverage as well:
http://www.svt.se/nyheter/regionalt/vas ... wars-dagen
http://www.vk.se/1568366/rymdintresse-o ... rationerna
http://www.vk.se/1568327/star-wars-dag- ... ra-och-sma
http://www.folkbladet.nu/plus/1532556/s ... till-vaven

Need to do some repairs and preparing for the next troop in december... the Empire does what is necessary!

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 66669 » 03 Dec 2015, 13:19

Things are moving forward:
- been doing my research on the next build (Biker Scout)
- got my Royal Guard bucket repainted and going to install some fans as well.
- been working on some modifications on my Shadow Stormtrooper (belt and buttons). This after the troop here in Umeå when I saw some nice modifications done on a fellow troopers costume.
- starting to prepare for the troop weekend which is going to include many trooping hours. One minor event and a bigger one, two-in-one-day thing :)
- currently preparing for an interview with the local paper on the TFA premiere and NG.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 66669 » 10 Dec 2015, 10:53

Got the paper today, with the interview... (in Swedish)
http://weblisher.textalk.se/vktotal/201 ... Conflict=1