help with Darth Talon details

For any SW costumes that don't fit into the other categories

Moderators: 3893, team-ng-command

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper
antispamfield: No

Re: help with Darth Talon details

Post by 7858 » 25 Jun 2014, 12:49

If you go and find him then don't copy what he did. Contact him and ask him if he could sculpt the hilt for Mette.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 11327 » 26 Jun 2014, 11:22

Ah. I think Jan Duursema patterned Darth Talon's lightsaber after Tomas Spanos' own unique sculpt that he used for his custom Clone Emperor costume back in 2003.
5587 wrote:For more bark like details you could do a silicone cast of some type of tree bark. And then use the silicone pad to press on the texture.
You may also be able to use latex, but it will shrink so the resulting pattern will be smaller than the original.

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 7995 » 26 Jun 2014, 16:48

He is the DL of Flagship Eclipse, but dont want to share his tips on how to do it, but rather have us pay the big bucks and have him do it, even though he rarely makes them??
Sorry, but that sounds very strange...almost arrogant.

I think we will invent our own wheel then. Karin already gave a great tip on how to do it. Just need to figure out the material to use.
SKÅNE TROOPERS

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 10413 » 26 Jun 2014, 18:48

Sorry, but Thomas is not arrogant at all, he´s a great artist and artists can sometime seem arrogant. But he do share his work, just take a look at his fb page - he´s very helpfull both on TFE and on FB ;)

Just send him a pm and ask him regarding a price, if you want a hilt from him or on the materials, if you want to try yourself - don´t like to see Thomas get "trashed", when no contact has been tried first.

A little sidenote... he´s not the fastest to reply, so please do have some patience...
Visas Marr/Tie pilot reserve/Bridge crew/Gunner
Retired: Biker Scout, Tusken, Darth Traya, Tie pilot ANH.
Costume mentor TFE 2013-2014 + 2016-> + TFE Staff member 2017 ->
"As my feet walk from the ashes of Katarr, I shall not fear, for in fear, lies death..."

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 7995 » 26 Jun 2014, 19:57

I'm not trying to trash him. Just reacting to the information I am given ;)

And thanks.
SKÅNE TROOPERS

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 7858 » 26 Jun 2014, 23:22

Morten, you're jumping into conclusions and missed the mark totally.

He might help if you ask him but he doesn't want people to copy his work though there are photos available. He does all the research for the costumes and makes them for himself and they are not for sale. I complemented his sabre hilt and he said it was done too quickly and he will build one with the utmost accuracy. Then I remembered that Mette is working on her Talon costume and asked if he'd be interested building one her if she needed one. He told me that he might build one but he hesitated because that's not his way, to build props and costumes for sale.

Morten, you might want to consider what kind of an impression someone new might get from your forum presence before judging someone else. :)

Sorry for trying to help, I won't do again.

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 54321 » 26 Jun 2014, 23:26

Don't you ever help again, Jouko. What kind of person does that on a costuming forum?!

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 7858 » 26 Jun 2014, 23:29

Nicky, I don't know, maybe a fool. :)

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 54321 » 26 Jun 2014, 23:54

A note, Morten, if you are going off topic bringing your opinion about the world in your own wife's thread, you need to be gentle with yourself and not write absurdities. Otherwise, other people will have to say their own.

A note to all about makers/artists doing this as a hobby:

A lot of them work alone, and just tell us about their pieces because they're happy about them, they're not systematically selling to hundreds of people waiting in line.

Also, try to not sound arrogant yourself when you get unreasonable requests from hundreds of people who won't do their own research and look for every shortcut. The so-called weirdness or arrogance is usually a lack of time and patience and nothing personal.

Makers who don't have the time or interest in offering a chain production to the public, don't have to give away the blueprints or patterns of their work as a second option, under the threat of being defamed by the internet.
Makers who do offer sales larger than their production capacity end up with 10-20 months backlog, and that's extreme, and it doesn't make sense. New sculptors can train up during that time.

That's why Jouko reached out and offered a private channel into getting something crafted exceptionally, maybe promptly, should Mette be interested in a hilt matching his quality. But if she isn't interested, or can't afford it, then don't go "sour grapes" over the dude who's not even here to defend himself.

So Jouko, you should keep helping other people, or at least offer when you feel like it. Because we don't all think or react alike.

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 7995 » 28 Jun 2014, 23:02

Seriously??

Damn this escalated quickly, just because I commented on something I found strange. But fine. I will not look at his pictures when we get to sculpting Mettes lightsaber hilt. Dont want to be accused of copying his work!
Luckily there are plenty other pictures to look at out there. I will use some of those instead for reference.

Maybe I should demand that people dont look at pictures in my build threads, so they dont copy the way I'm building my armor.
SKÅNE TROOPERS