Moderators: 3893, team-ng-command

KyloZen
Supporter
Supporter
antispamfield: No

Kylo Ren costume questions

#1 Post by KyloZen » 04 Dec 2016, 19:32

Hi!

I have begun working on a Kylo-costume and have a few questions concerning approved accessories.
I am considering buying three items, since I lack skills for making them myself. I really want everything to be top notch when it comes to quality and likeness (read level 2 or 3). So here's the question about these items:

a) Gloves. Are the Endor Finders-gloves 501st approved? Do you have another tip for me? I am after best possible quality and screen accuracy.

b) Boots. Where can I buy approved ones and where do I find the best ones available? (preferably below 5000 sek)

c) Helmet. I have a small head, so I would need a place for special ordering, but I really like to have one with the mouthpiece moving and a voice changer. Do you recommend just learning the craft and creating it myself, or is there any seller out there who's got it all?

I am happy for any answers!

Hugs!/ Alexander

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Re: Kylo Ren costume questions

#2 Post by 17113 » 04 Dec 2016, 20:54

The endorfinders gloves are great, and you could abosolutely be approved with those (no item is "501st approved" btw, it has to fit you). Boots can be found at imperialboots.com.
There are several people who make helmets, like JJ Industries on fb (Luke Daley), who I think has the best one currently. Kylo's helmet is pretty small, so size is not going to be a problem if you have a small head (you need to use padding regardless). You could add a voice changer to the helmet seperately (though your phone, for instance, with a mic in your helmet and a small speaker hidden somewhere).

Also, you should join the Knights of Ren fb-group, and also go to http://forum.501stsithlords.com/ (super important that you read the kylo-sections there.)

The main thing when building a costume for the 501st is to do a lot of research before buying or making anything. You should know the costume inside and out, so that you get it right the first time and don't have to waste time and money on mistakes (best advise you've heard today).

Good luck :-) (kylo)

KyloZen
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Kylo Ren costume questions

#3 Post by KyloZen » 05 Dec 2016, 18:39

Thank you so much!

I've spend about a year on intense research when it comes to the details and taken as many notes as I can. I'm a member of The knights of Ren since this summer and have read the instructiuons on the 501st homepage. Still kind of nervous though, I am a perfectionist when I cosplay. :-P
Your suggestions for shops were a great help and your costume looks awesome!
I'll absolutely follow your advice and contact a member who lives in my hometown and who owns a Kylo-suit. :-)

Many great dark side hugs!