Boy, do I have a lot of questions!

For all costumes from The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith

Moderators: 3893, team-ng-command

nordic_rex
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen
antispamfield: No

Boy, do I have a lot of questions!

Post by nordic_rex » 24 Feb 2018, 14:18

Hello everyone!
My name is Daniel and I have pretty much just begun my journey to join you all in the 501st!
I have already done the Rex phase 2 helmet and I think it looks pretty neat (will post a build thread later on).
And now I have also FINALLY ordered the rest of the kit.. well, except soft parts and blasters... Anyways..
When I built the helmet it wasn't a "huge" piece.. so buying spray paints wasn't that much of a bother, but now when I'll have a full suit to prime and paint it becomes an issue.
See, I bought some really good hobby paints, but they come in such small containers that it would cost a fortune to paint in only that brand.
And when it comes to all these items like spray paint and glue, I'm lost in a jungle of brands. I need some serious help here.
Which brand of paint is good enough for an armor? I've been lurking around a lot on the CTD forums and they all seem to use Rust-Oleum, but from all my googling-skills I can't find a supplier in Sweden.
Which brand of glue will hold and yet not be as puffy as epoxy when I want to glue the armor together? And where can I find industrial strength velcro?
So many questions I thought I had under control but now I feel really lost.

So to any and all here, please help me!

//Daniel

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Re: Boy, do I have a lot of questions!

Post by 61514 » 24 Feb 2018, 21:36

Don't bother trying to get Rust-Oleum or Krylon or all those paints you see in American build threads, they are usually only sold in the US. Your best bet is to get some locally that matches the color you want. If you have already painted your helmet with one kind of spray paint, i'd recommend you do the same to your armor with that brand/color to have matching colors. Painting an entire armor-kit with spray cans is probably the most common way to paint!

For reference, I used the CRC Pro Paint cans that Clas Ohlson sells to paint my TFA Stormtrooper. Any paint will chip/wear down with enough use. Clear coat it if you can to increase the strength and add foam to rubbing spots to prevent scratches.

About glues, it really depends on what you're gluing. If you want a rock solid strong bond, i'd go with 2-part epoxy glue (longer cure time the better). For parts that flex a bit i'd go with E6000, a glue you will see EVERYWHERE in the costuming community. Most common in the states but I remember I found a swedish site carrying it, I got mine from Trooperbay in the US. You can also get industrial strength velcro from there, or you can buy from ebay like I did.

You will also see people referencing "CA glue" a lot, this is just regular super glue. CA stands for CyanoAcrylate which is the main ingredient in superglues. Good for greeblies or 3D-printed parts. Experienced builders also use it to build armor, because it sets in seconds and is very strong. Unlike E6000 which can easily be removed.
-Daniel Andersen-
ImageImage

nordic_rex
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Re: Boy, do I have a lot of questions!

Post by nordic_rex » 25 Feb 2018, 04:52

Thanks for the reply! :)

I'll try an epoxy out on some scrap pieces to see how much it bulks, if it's not too much I'll use that. Otherwise I might look into some form of superglue.

And for the paint I don't think buying the same brand is that important for me. Mainly because the cans I bought was like a third of the size of a normal can but for the same price. And second is, it's just a regular royal/cobalt blue and a matte white.. the rest is pretty much up to weathering and brush work :)