For all costumes from A New Hope, EMpire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi

Moderators: 3893, team-ng-command

Obi_Hans
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper
antispamfield: No

Old Ben consume started, would like some feedback

Post by Obi_Hans » 18 Sep 2017, 14:43

I'm new here, from Trondheim in Norway and just started with an Old Ben costume for cosplay. Figured it would be nice to get tips from this board and am aiming to get the costume approved here when finished.
The inner robe will be made like this, likely using natural color linen fabric from Ikea witch has the rigth color, good structure and is easy to get:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/ ... sc&start=0

Have not decided what fabric I will use on the cloak yet and tips on good and cheap fabric is welcome. Wool would be nice, but the Old Ben cloak could also be probably be made or linen or a rough canvas type of fabric.

The lightsaber is 3D printed with a homemade Graflex clamp and some paint. Blade is from a 1200mm plastic LED ligth tube. It will have transistor buttons on the side and a metal D-ring when they arrive, a blue LED string blade and realistic sound effects, using the Lightsaber OS software: https://github.com/neskweek/LightSaberOS
Ben saber.jpg
Ben saber.jpg (107.53 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
I have also started with the belt and made a brass bucklet on a 2" brown leather belt. It will have a saber hook, D-rings and a pouch eventually.
Ben Belt.jpg
Ben Belt.jpg (125.09 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
Let me know what you think and help me on the way to make a nice outfit.
May the force be with you, always.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Re: Old Ben consume started, would like some feedback

Post by 78346 » 18 Sep 2017, 16:48

Hælla. Nice to see some more rebels joining up in Trondheim.

But we do have a few that have made their own jedi costumes in here, so there should be someone with the right ideas that could help.

Lora Skywalker
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Lora Skywalker » 18 Sep 2017, 21:51

Nice start. :)

For the robe I'd suggest to go with wool for the right look, and viking wool would be ideal. I once made an Old Ben inspired robe for a rather tall friend and as I recall I used about 4,5 meters of fabric for that. (That robe use less fabric than a PT robe, because the sleeves are set in and the hood is smaller).
One of the nice things about Old Ben's robe is that the edges are all raw, so no hemming required.

For the rest just make sure the fabric has a clearly visible weave, is a bit nubby, and isn't too stiff. I know homespun silk is in the expensive range, but you can look for substitutes to it.
"Get this walking carpet out of my way!"

Rebel and proud of it!
DXO of RLGS

Obi_Hans
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Obi_Hans » 19 Sep 2017, 09:57

Thanks for the replays. Are there many others here from Trondheim?
I will see if I can find some wool fabric with a good structure. Will ask the local viking live'ers here for a start.
Should I just use the "standard angel type" cloak pattern and sew the sleeves and back with no folding? That takes fours heights of fabric and at least 7 meters if I can't get some wide enough if the seams is placed correct.

I am aware that raw silk is best for the inner tunic, but that will be quite expensive it I don't get some directly from a producer in India or similar.
Linen or crinckle cauze shuld work fine if I find some with a good texture and the correct color.

I will keep looking for fabric while I finish the light saber and belt. I am also building a Luke's lightsaber for my daughter who is making a Rey costume. Also thinking of a practical way to make a rolling BB8:)
Lukes saber new hope.jpg
Lukes saber new hope.jpg (121.02 KiB) Viewed 2084 times

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 17113 » 19 Sep 2017, 11:40

Hi! Yes, there are several here from Trondheim! I'd love to see more rebels here!

A good norwegian source for wool fabrics is tekstil.no. Ask them to send you some samples :) Not many good local sources for such unfortunately. There's also a good fabric store in lillestrøm that we've had dealings with before. Stein here (78346) knows more about them than I do.

We try to have workshops once in a while, but that's more for hard armor stuff (no sewing machines). I can however help you with sewing if you'd like, since I have some knowledge about that sort of thing, and access to the makerspace at Gløshaugen (which have sewing machines and large tables). Send me a friend request on fb if you're interested (Just search for Andreas Suorza Sørensen, only one by that name)

Obi_Hans
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Obi_Hans » 19 Sep 2017, 11:56

Sewing is not a problem, my daughter and my wife will help me with that:)
It would be nice to meet others here for workshops or events, I will be in touch.

Lora Skywalker
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Lora Skywalker » 20 Sep 2017, 20:37

Hmm, the pattern is kinda hard to explain, but... Fold the fabric so you can make the front and back as one half piece with no shoulder seam. Mirror the pattern and do it again to get the other half on the front and back. Sew down the back. Sleeves are sorta a wide, flatish trapezoid, and the hood is basically a long rectangle. (No seam on top, but a seam down the back of the hood).

I'll see if I can find pictures of the robe I made inspired by Old Ben.

Rebel and proud of it!
DXO of RLGS

Obi_Hans
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Obi_Hans » 21 Sep 2017, 09:29

I know about the seams, just one in the back and no on the shoulders.
Found a very good robe sewing guide here: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/ ... hp?t=36267
This has foldings on the arm and in the back, like the robes seen in the newer films, but I don't think that would not be correct for the Old Ben robe. Guess I just cut the arms shorter for right length without any folds.
1JediRobePattern.jpg
1JediRobePattern.jpg (161.77 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
Another way of doing it is to use one width of wide fabric for the body and sew on additional sleeves like this pattern. No seam in the back, but one extra on the arms. This would require less fabric, but not be screen accurate and properly not look as good.
Jedi-robe-pattern-cape-pattern.jpg
Jedi-robe-pattern-cape-pattern.jpg (35.04 KiB) Viewed 2043 times

Lora Skywalker
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Lora Skywalker » 21 Sep 2017, 15:36

Since the sleeves are separate pieces, then yes, it should not be like a PT jedi robe. (What the first illustrate). And as said the hood is much smaller and pointy rather than rounded.
Having separate sleeve pieces means you can better fit the pattern pieces in without too much unused fabric happening. (Something not possible with a PT robe where there's no shoulder seam).

Rebel and proud of it!
DXO of RLGS

Obi_Hans
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Obi_Hans » 14 Nov 2017, 19:36

Slow but steady progress on the costume. Just got fabric for the inner and outer robe. Both arena thick and heavy cotton with a good structure. Someone else can probably name them....
Fabric for the inner robe are natural colored with structure that looks a bit like thick silk and can be used as is. The other is like a rought canvas that will be dyed dark brown.
Next step will be to make a model with cheap canvas before I start cutting.
Soon finish with a soundboard for the lightsaber as will, by the moment it only has light.
Attachments
20171114_184338.jpg
20171114_184338.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 688 times
20171114_191910.jpg
20171114_191910.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 688 times