Help with TIE Reserve Pilot

For all costumes from A New Hope, EMpire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi

Moderators: 3893, team-ng-command

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper
antispamfield: No

Help with TIE Reserve Pilot

Post by 87101 » 09 Jul 2017, 09:09

While waiting (patiently but eagerly) for parts for my Scout Trooper I've been thinking about doing another costume just to satisfy my desire to join the 501st.

I've been looking at the TIE Reserve Pilot. The belt and hat seems easy enough, but wondering about tips for a good flight suit, gloves and boots? Especially the boots if there is a good alternative to buy in Sweden?

Tried searching on the jolly Roger squadron forum but don't know If I'm doing something wrong, I can't see any forum section do you need to be in the 501st to read the forum? *edit* nvm, I found the answer. All you have to do is read the instructions :lol
TB-87101 (biker)
Troops
Nordic Garrison: 11
Danish Garrison: 1

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Re: Help with TIE Reserve Pilot

Post by 87101 » 09 Jul 2017, 19:23

Found these boots on ebay: http://www.ebay.de/itm/ORIGINAL-BUNDESW ... PzmPSzVn0g

are they the right kind? are there any options in Sweden, not going for 100 % accuracy at once.
TB-87101 (biker)
Troops

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 11327 » 09 Jul 2017, 21:04

The Seestiefeln are genuine Knobelbecher for sure but made from a softer pebbled type of leather where as I think all boots in the movies had hard smooth leather. It would be up to the GML to decide. The price isn't bad.

I know Röda Stjärnan in Stockholm has had East-German jackboots. Those are less accurate than the Bundeswehr and WWII army boots but I think many have them. I can find only officers' parade boots on their web site right now though.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 20501 » 10 Jul 2017, 06:27

I got some jumpsuits. Some from MonCal, but also from Wampawear.com. Some also buy it from cosplaysky, then you have to give them the exact messurement and tell them how to do it or they will make it wrong. I will say that MonCal is the topp of the line, but then. He have a long waiting time. Wampawear is a diffrent story. There you get a fast delivery, but it gos only up to lvl 2 sins the collar is not arrowed behind the neck. Also, Wampawear is out of stock atm of black jumpsuits. Hope this helps... ;)

Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Post by 19784 » 10 Jul 2017, 11:27

I'd advise against MonCal in the strongest possible terms. The waiting time is insane (years and in several cases they have never provided goods), their customer services is nonexistent and the "black" is more of a dark blue (very noticeable in sunlight).

I'd also recommend you to create an account at the JRS (Jolly Roger Squadron) forums if you have not done so already :)

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 78346 » 10 Jul 2017, 12:45

1. Wampawear does have the pointed collar in the back.
2. There isn't a lvl 3 for the flightsuit.
3. Moncal has some wrongs with his suit; Four pockets on the legs, compad window is placed way far down,
and he is missing the double overlaying fabric on the back - and he will steal your money it seems.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 87101 » 10 Jul 2017, 12:49

Thanks for the replies!

Typically I just got Word that my scout armor is ready and the helmet should be finished soon so back to focusing on that costume. Or maybe both... :)
TB-87101 (biker)
Troops

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 30502 » 10 Jul 2017, 15:18

I also had bad experience with moncal, waited 7 months for a flightsuit, not replying on email. even sent the wrong size. Wampawear is recommended by me.

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 10413 » 10 Jul 2017, 17:58

Coplaysky makes some very nice flightsuit as already mentioned, standard size and after your own measurements, and they have a quick delievery. ;-)

I got mine from them - I incl. the measurements for my compad window and they did a great job.

I found my boots on ebay, or you could try contacting Fiona Messer from the German Garrison, she has boots for sale - you can find her on FB.

Don´t buy from Moncal - they take your money and then you have to wait months/years before they deliever, if they do... there are several posts around forums, where people are warning about MC.
Visas Marr ,Tie pilot reserve , Bridge crew
Retired: Biker Scout, Tusken, Darth Traya, Tie pilot ANH.
Costume mentor TFE 2013-2014 + 2016/2017 + TFE Staff member 2017
"As my feet walk from the ashes of Katarr, I shall not fear, for in fear, lies death..."

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 11327 » 10 Jul 2017, 20:01

19784 wrote:I'd also recommend you to create an account at the JRS (Jolly Roger Squadron) forums if you have not done so already :)
Unless you want to do an Imperial Bridge Crew instead (or in addition), in which case the detachment would be the Imperial Officer Corps.
It is basically the same costume, the difference being that they allow different accessories. I'm in both detachments with all accessories.
78346 wrote:3. Moncal has some wrongs with his suit; Four pockets on the legs, compad window is placed way far down,
and he is missing the double overlaying fabric on the back - and he will steal your money it seems.
Two different types of flight suits have been identified to have been in the movies. One pattern was used for both Rebels and Imperials in ANH and the other only for Imperials in ESB and ROTJ.
The "ANH pattern" had no point in the neck of the collar, four leg pockets with flaps and simple rectangular flaps on the pockets. The "ESB/ROTJ pattern" has the point in the back of the neck, only two leg pockets with flaps and all pocket flaps are chevron-shaped.
The CRLs do not recognise that there are two different versions, being preferential to the Imperial-only ESB/ROTJ pattern.

Mon Cal has expressed that his pattern is a combination of the two versions, made so that it could be modified relatively easily into one or the other. He gets suits made from the same pattern also for Rebels in other colours than black.
For the ESB/ROTJ version, you could rip the seams of the lower leg pockets to remove them. You might also want to modify the pocket flaps by ripping stitches, folding into chevrons and restitching even if the CRLs don't require you to do so - but you would need access to a sewing machine for that.

If I did my costume today, I would instead choose Cosplaysky, though. It is the Imperial-only ESB/ROTJ pattern with nothing to modify and which is preferred by the writers of the CRLs. It is also in a lighter fabric which is more accurate, where as Mon Cal and Wampawear both use a more rugged fabric.

Notes: Mon Cal has had multiple suppliers of the jumpsuit throughout the years, so an old review might not accurately reflect what you would get today. The comm pad pocket of the flight suits also differs between ANH and ESB... but a 100% screen-accurate comm pad pocket of either type would not show all buttons and may not be sized for the comm pad you get anyway.