A future recruit?

Moderators: 3893, team-ng-command

Quakecry
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen
antispamfield: No

A future recruit?

#1 Post by Quakecry » 15 Oct 2017, 08:17

Hello there! My name is Marcus, i'm 23, and from Northern Norway and live in a small town called Bodø. Since I was a kid I've had a huge interest for star wars. Reading star wars forums every day, watched and played all the media mostly except the Holliday special. And read most of the new canon books and comics.

But, for a long time I've wanted to really take my Fandom to the next level and join the 501st. But mostly getting a good quality costume. But what really made me seriously wanting to do this, was an event we had here last month called 'IntergalacticWeekend' where Jeremy Bulloch and Brian Muir came as well. Along with a shopping mall being filled with Imperials and Rebel scum.

And to see the happiness the Nordic garrison provided to people, all the kids having a blast - not to mention the adults and myself and my friends. Along with talking with the Nordic Garrison members that were there (some of you probably are on this forum) that really inspired and sparked a fire within me to be a part of this myself. I dressed up in a makeshift civilian costume with a flight suit I used that originally Is from a Stargate costume I have. And it was so fun dressing up, and being a part of this fantastic universe. At least in some small way. I want to bring happiness to other fans, to have people pose in pictures with me in an armor, and to do charity events.

Unfortunately, this is also where my problem arises. I have never in my life barely any touched tools, and I have no DIY skills whatsoever. We are also a small town, and I only know one guy that is in the Nordic Garrison here. (and he arranged the whole event) so my options are really to buy a ready to wear kit. As I don't know anyone that can help me assemble a kit, or show me what to do. Which is a downside to such a small city, as other large cities usually have armor workshops or fellow members coming and helping and teaching a little.

I know I can buy a finished ready to wear kit from RS propmasters. But unfortunately I am not really a fan of the design of the stormtroopers (scout armor and the armors seen in Rouge One however are pretty cool). I am more of a fan of the prequel Era armors such as the republic commandos, and the clone armors. I have ordered a shock trooper helmet, and a DC-15s rifle from a guy on etsy (just to start my collection and have an awesome helmet to put on display) Quality looks really good, judging from his pictures and reviews. But I would still need an armor no matter what helmet I get. And unless I want to do a stormtrooper there doesn't seem to be anyone offering ready to wear armors. Or armors that are easy to put together.

So do you guys have any suggestions for what I should do or can do? As buying a armor I have to trim, assemble and paint is the cheapest but the most difficult and somewhat '' impossible '' option for me. If I were to do a OT Era armor (which is the easiest to get ahold of) I'd prefer to do a scout tropper or a shore trooper.

Thanks for reading this wall of text, and sorry to trouble you guys with my questions! May the force be with you all!

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Re: A future recruit?

#2 Post by 32700 » 16 Oct 2017, 18:29

Hi Marcus! Welcome to the forum. I think I saw your Stargate flight suit in Bodø.

DIY skills is not required to start a project. You'll learn along the way. It'll be fun! But you should choose a character you like, and not based on accessability. If you do not like the classic stormtrooper, don't get a stormtrooper.

Here is a list of approvable characters: http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRLbyname

Quakecry
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

#3 Post by Quakecry » 17 Oct 2017, 00:23

32700 wrote:Hi Marcus! Welcome to the forum. I think I saw your Stargate flight suit in Bodø.

DIY skills is not required to start a project. You'll learn along the way. It'll be fun! But you should choose a character you like, and not based on accessability. If you do not like the classic stormtrooper, don't get a stormtrooper.

Here is a list of approvable characters: http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRLbyname
Thanks :) I probably saw you several times too! I'm aware of the costume dstabase, but it's really a scout/Rouge one featured troopers I'd prefer to do alongside clones. I realize it might be fun and that you will learn among the way. But when I have no tools, nothing. It isn't as fun to start and much more fun to pay to get it made :p

Quakecry
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

#5 Post by Quakecry » 01 Jan 2018, 04:06

Well things are progressing further. Helmet is nearing competition after that follows the rest of the armor!
I'm not the maker. But things seems to look good! I'm hoping to be approved by March hopefully. Would be awesome to join you guys that's for sure.