Dual Han In Carbonite Build

For all costumes from A New Hope, EMpire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi

Moderators: 3893, team-ng-command

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Dual Han In Carbonite Build

Post by 3664 » 06 Dec 2012, 02:41

I came across casts of Han In Carbonite (only the Han parts, not the whole front panel) over at the 501st forums and decided to give it a go.
I told a friend of mine about it, and as he recently bought a house and is going to refurbish the basement to be a movieroom/mancave he wanted to get one as well, so I ordered two casts, and will be building two identical HICs at the same time!

That same friend let me use his basement as a workspace as I don't have the room to do this myself. He bought the house from a retired couple, so the interior looks "vintage" to say the least. Enough about that.

I started out researching how to build the box itself, and saw zenix selling CNC'd kits made out of MDF, but the cost including shipping would be too high ($550 for one).
Then I found out my cousin works at a shop with a CNC machine and Zenix urged me to use the measurements made available by cking and get it machined myself, but my cousin wasn't able to get anything done before christmas.

Then I thought: "Why not just cut the parts myself?" So I did. Or I got my landlord (who works as a carpenter) to help me buy the wood and get all the proper lengths cut, then I cut all the angles and holes for the panels myself. The best part, it ended up costing me under $100, for two boxes.

This has been a real friend:

Meanwhile, I also tried to source an original Volvo instrumentpanel, something that didn't prove to be so difficult, as the Volvo 343 was a pretty common car here back in the day, so some scrapyards have parts laying around.
After contacting 4-5 scrapyards I got a hit from two of them, and one even had several instrumentpanels.
Trouble is, they are still so expensive, that buying more than one was out of the question.

I came across Matt Munsons blog detailing how to make a mold and slushcast the instrumentpanel, so I think I will be giving that a go, as it would be both fun to try and a fairly cheap alternative (I believe). I have never tried it before, so it will be a great learning experience.

Here is how the Instrumentpanel arrived:

With instrumentcluster removed:

I am using MonCal's excellent HIC build as reference and inspiration, as well as looking at a few other builds for tips on how to solve stuff.

Measuring the placement of the side panels:

All four sides of both boxes ready:

And here is where I'm at now:

The next step will be routing all edges, mounting the backing behind the holes for the sidepanels, bondoing and sanding all screwholes and edges. Then mounting crossbraces inside the box to stiffen it off and provide a backing for the board on which Han will be mounted.

Vacuumformed boxes for the top and bottom have been ordered from MonCal, and I hope they arrive before the build is completely finished.
The casts of Han himself will probably be arriving tomorrow (I have been checking the tracking information diligently..)

I will try to be as screen accurate as I can be, within the boundaries I have. Trying not to ruin myself financially.

This is my first time building something of this size, but it's a fun build, and I'm enjoying it thus far.

Thanks for watching, and I'll keep you posted!
Last edited by 3664 on 04 Jun 2014, 23:02, edited 2 times in total.

Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen
antispamfield: No

Re: Dual Han In Carbonite Build

Post by 11101 » 06 Dec 2012, 09:28

Wow, looking forward to see the progress :)

Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by 23017 » 06 Dec 2012, 10:35

That'll be very interesting to follow :)

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 150 » 06 Dec 2012, 10:38

Holy F... this is looking so awsome !!!
Any chance to get hands in 8 of those panels you are going to remake ??
(TS/SL-150) Naughty Garrison
Im a Alu-holic!!

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 3664 » 06 Dec 2012, 12:28

SL-150 wrote:Holy F... this is looking so awsome !!!
Any chance to get hands in 8 of those panels you are going to remake ??
Thank you!

If I manage to make decent casts, of course! I'll let you know.

Droid Builder
Droid Builder

Post by 9144 » 06 Dec 2012, 13:04

That's pretty impressive!!
".....It's not who I am underneath, but what I *do* that defines me"
]
http://r2stockholmfactory.wordpress.com
http://www.youtube.com/c/Reality2Robots

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 3664 » 06 Dec 2012, 13:12

TB-9144 wrote:That's pretty impressive!!
And that's coming from an R2-builder :razz:

Thanks, man!

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 10413 » 06 Dec 2012, 14:10

Wow... can´t wait to see more of this... :-)
Visas Marr/Tie pilot reserve/Bridge crew/Gunner
Retired: Biker Scout, Tusken, Darth Traya, Tie pilot ANH.
Costume mentor TFE 2013-2014 + 2016-> + TFE Staff member 2017 -> + TFE GML staff 2019
"As my feet walk from the ashes of Katarr, I shall not fear, for in fear, lies death..."

Bladeborn
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by Bladeborn » 06 Dec 2012, 15:10

You guys are so awe-inspiring. I feel so cheap, buying a costume, instead of creating it myself :S You are the real heroes of the 501st!
Star Wars Forever!

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 3664 » 06 Dec 2012, 23:46

Thank you very much!
I didn't scratchbuild my TK, though :P

Had another round with the saw and got to bust out the router today.
Now both frames are at the exact same stage, and all edges are routered smooth.

Some bondoing and sanding is needed, but the boxes actually look a lot better than the impression this picture gives! :P

Next up is mounting the backing behind the holes for the sidepanels, and strengthening the overall integrity of the box.
Then bondoing and sanding, before making the main panel for Han and attaching that.
Small increments!

This build includes a lot of slightly askew angles and routered edges, and you really have to keep your tongue straight when measuring out before cutting, so I can understand the people that have mentioned that this is a time consuming and difficult build. But if you just keep your head cool and think things through it shouldn't be a problem.

I have actually kept a tally on the time and money spent on this, will be fun to see what the total is when I'm done :)